help needed to identify katana

Thank you Stan for your advice. Here's the challenge. In another thread on this site is the same signature "Yamamoto Kameichi" or similar name, but the quality of both pieces ( the other one andthis one)seem quite different. have a look and have your say. don't hold back, this Katana is not for sale and was bought for the equivalent of about US$90 from and American with a large collection of Japanese artifacts he had inherited, then bought by a local dude here in New Zealand. There were three swords in all, and I got this one.
kind regards to all for any help you can offer, if you need more pictures, just sing out, Steve G.

AttachmentSize
sword1.jpg352.9 KB
sword2.jpg361.58 KB
sword3.jpg315.31 KB
sword4.jpg342.94 KB
sword7.jpg375.75 KB
sword6.jpg384.04 KB
sword8.jpg275.83 KB
sword9.jpg261.98 KB

Hi Steve, Unfortunately the

Hi Steve,
Unfortunately the conclusion is the same. It's a fake. Both the blade and th fitting were done very crudely in comparison to an authentic Japanese sword.
Regards,
Stan

made in China ?

[Edit: I see that Stan and I were posting at the same time...]

Yes, it appears to be made of Damascus-style steel.
Sorry, but I don't think it's any type of Japanese sword.
- The shape of the tang is really bad and sloppy.
- The shape of the kissaki (tip) is really bad.
- The tsuba (handguard) looks bogus - note the painted features, and the paint job is not even good.
- The yasuri-me (filemarks) on the tang look bad.
- The filemarks on the blade surface shouldn't be there.

I'd say it was made in a place like China or India.

Pete

Replica

Thanks for the feedback guys, I have actually been straining at the leash to start 'working' the blade as a practice piece and this kicks the gate open for me. I have another blade that I'll post pictures of for you to have a crack at. It might take a couple of days to find the time, but it's a Wakizashi with no mei, I'd muchh appreciate your observations on it too.
kind regards, Steve G.

-

Steve G.

Unsafe

Hi Steve,

Actually, the fact that it's not a genuine sword closes the gate of using it as a practice piece. There is no guarantee it will sustain even some small impact, or if nakago will not crack after a couple of swings. It was neither intended nor tested for practical use. It's a danger to you and spectators.

Regards,
Stan

polishing practice?

I agree with Stan about the danger of using it for Kenjutsu practice.
However, when you said "practice piece", I assumed that you meant "polishing practice". If so, then go for it! But as always, please do not ever believe that you should do any sort of polishing on a real Japanese blade.
Pete

polish practice

You got it Pete, polishing practice, I'm not one to swing a sword about, and thanks for the warning Stan. Yep, I'm keen to give this polishing buzz a go and see what I come up wiht. regards, to all, Steve G

-

Steve G.

Oops, my apologies for the

Oops, my apologies for the confusion!

Stan