Help on Confirming Norimitsu swordsmith generation

Hi friends,
I need some expert advise on dating my Wakizashi.
I am mostly sure it is Norimitsu, but would like to confirm this, and also if possible to date the generation, school.
My late father gave it to me when I started practising Kendo,and because I was interested in japanese swords since I was a kid.
It had been in his possession for a long time, he acquired it being a collector, but I do not know more details on provenance.

I uploaded more pictures under private collection item.

Any hints welcome.
Thank you so much

Eddy

AttachmentSize
img_20180209_184828268b.jpg1.14 MB
img_20180211_175211509b.jpg1.42 MB
img_20180210_113047702b.jpg1.9 MB

Norimitsu

The signature indeed is "Norimitsu". I have no input on which generation it might be.
It's too bad that somebody "cleaned" the tang.

The signature on the kozuka blade is Kanesada.

Pete

Norimitsu

Hi Pete, thanks or your reply. My father cleaned the left tang side to unveil the Kanji Mei...
Why do I see that blades are polished. Does it not ruin them too? This blade is badly scratched in many places, as also notches to the edge. I assume from usage/ battle damage. Should not this also remain untouched?
best
Eddy

polishing

Hi Eddy,
On a Japanese sword, "polishing" refers to a restoration done by a "togishi", a professional artisan (almost all are in Japan). The process is done with many types of natural stones, strictly by hand, takes many hours of work, and is very expensive.
I don't recommend it to a 'beginner' for various reasons. An experienced collector may justify getting a polish done, but they know what they're getting into.
A proper polish "usually" enhances the value of the blade.

The tang of the sword is meant to be handled with bare hands, and the resulting 'patina' is a feature, and an important indicator of the rough age of the blade. A 'cleaned' tang is a fairly serious flaw to a collector.

Nearly all blades found outside of Japan were WWII war souvenirs. The scratches and chips could possibly be from "battle", but it's frankly more likely from abuse. The GI's didn't have much knowledge or respect for swords...
A Japanese soldier would take very good care of his blade, unless it was a modern factory-made type (like a Japanese NCO sword).

Pete

Grieving Blades

Hi Pete,
Thanks for your insight.
'What the eye does not see, the heart does not grieve upon...'
I know you are right. Every time I talk about the wakizashi, somebody recommends me to watch the video where some guy shoots bullets to see how a Katana blade takes the beating. Or I am asked if I tried already to cut another blade clean, etc etc. So I also believe the notches to the edge may be part of some silly testing edge against edge... My oh my...
There are though some circular patterns to the Shinogi, that suggest me a contact to the blade only possible when you apply actual 'Suriage' action to sliding parry the opponent's sword... (or at least I want to believe that)
Eddy