Help with Sword Identification

Hi all,

I'm very new to all this and apologize first up if I make some basic mistakes.

I have recently received my grandfather's (what I presume to be) WW2 Japanese sword that he obtained whilst serving with the British Navy. From some of my basic research I think it is a late war Gunto mount. (Once again apologies if this is way off the mark!)

I am looking for info in regard to the sword as I was unable to ask my Pop before he passed as I didn't even know he had the sword.

Any information is much appreciated!

I have attached some photos.

If you require some specific photos let me know and I'll do my best!

Regards
Dave

AttachmentSize
img_20160207_233330.jpg1.64 MB
img_20160207_232417.jpg1.2 MB
img_20160207_232443.jpg1.27 MB
img_20160207_232513.jpg1.28 MB
img_20160207_232543.jpg1.47 MB
img_20160207_232818.jpg1.29 MB
img_20160207_232832.jpg1.64 MB
img_20160207_232911.jpg1.75 MB

gunto

Hi Dave,
What I see:
Gunto, probably Army (one hanger on the scabbard; Navy usually has two).
Leather-covered saya (scabbard). Probably wood underneath.
Simple iron tsuba (handguard), "mokko" shape. A little better than the more common cast-brass type found on most gunto.
Very likely made 1940-1945.
Blade is in rough condition, including a good-sized chip on the edge.
The "surrender tag" is a nice thing to have. I believe it names the soldier who carried it (his name is "Omura-something"), and maybe his unit (the first part says "Navy"-something). I'll have my wife look at it and report back.
The signature on the blade is readable, but I'll need a bit of help with that, too. I lot of these wartime signatures are very "choppy" (like bad handwriting).

Pete

Katsumasa

The signature is:
NOuSHUu (?) KOJIMA KATSUMASA SAKU".

Noshu is a province, modern-day Gifu.
Not sure what the (?) is, but it's not important... It might be a crude form of SEKI.
Kojima is a family name - probably the smith's real name.
Katsumasa is the smith's "art name".
Saku means "made".
See smith KAT75 in the "Swordsmith index".

The surrender tag says:
KAIGUN ITABASHI BUTAI
JOuSOu, OoMURA RYOuICHI

Kaigun is Navy.
Itabashi is a ward in Tokyo.
Butai means "unit, corps, squad, detachment".
Joso is a military rank, probably an enlisted rank. I couldn't find this particular one, but it is similar to SOuCHOu (Sergeant-Major) or GUNSOu (Sergeant).
Omura is a common family name.
Ryoichi is a common first name.

Pete

another KAT75

Just noticed that a few months ago someone posted about a KAT75:

http://nihontoclub.com/blogs/Brian-Everswick/2015/09/08/Need-to-know-wha...

And on yours, the (?) would be "JUu", meaning "resident".

Pete

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Wow wasn't expecting replies so quickly!

How you decipher the signatures is beyond me! Thanks so much for your input.

Yeah the blade could be in better condition but I suspect my Dad and his brothers treated it fairly poorly when they were younger lads.

So it looks to be an army Gunto mount but the officer carrying the sword in according to the surrender tag is a naval officer? Would it be that the mount is not the original for the sword?

The link to the KAT75 post indicates that swords of this type are not made in the traditional way, but I am presuming that this sword would still be handmade?

Is this sword worth getting polished and repaired? I understand this will be an expensive exercise but would like it done properly. I live in Australia and if you have any links to reputable polishers down this way that would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help so far!

Army vs Navy

>So it looks to be an army Gunto mount but the officer carrying the sword in according to the surrender tag is a naval officer? Would it be that the mount is not the original for the sword?

That's possible, I suppose. I don't think the "2 hangers" is a hard-and-fast rule. Or, he may have been Army, but assigned to a Naval office. Perhaps a way to be sure is to research the "Joso" rank - I suspect that it is an Army rank, because it shares a kanji with Sergeant.

>The link to the KAT75 post indicates that swords of this type are not made in the traditional way, but I am presuming that this sword would still be handmade?

It would be partially hand-made, partially machine-made. For example, it's likely that the steel is NOT folded/laminated like a traditional blade. Also the "hamon" (temper line) is likely either oil-quenched, or not quenched at all (in the latter case just a cosmetic feature done with abrasives). It was obviously signed by hand, with a chisel, but it may have been done by an assistant in Katsumasa's shop, rather than by Katsumasa himself. If you Google "Kojima Katsumasa", you'll find other examples - note that some have a much more elegant (and readable) signature - these are more likely to be signed by Katsumasa himself.

>Is this sword worth getting polished and repaired?
Definitely not. It would cost more than the sword is worth. And, a qualified polisher wouldn't do it, because it's not a true "Nihonto". An amateur polisher would do it, but it would reduce the blade's value as a WWII militaria piece.
It is what it is. Just protect it from further rust with a little gun oil on the main part of the blade (not on the tang).

Pete