New Member, Looking for help with sword identification.

Hello, I recently acquired a sword that I was told dated from the 1670's-1680's. Unfortunately I neither read or speak Japanese and my area seems to be lacking in people with any knowledge of the subject of antique swords.

I was also wondering if there is anyone in the U.S. capable and qualified to do a proper restoration, as you will see from the photos it isn't in what I would call great shape.

Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

photo 20130813_115657_zps027289a2.jpg

photo 20130813_115636_zpsac64014a.jpg

photo 20130813_115841_zps8c09e568.jpg

photo 20130813_120103_zps759c951f.jpg

photo c1_zps19fc3ffd.jpg

Yoshitsugu

The signature is "HIGO (no) KAMI TACHIBANA YOSHITSUGU SAKU".
See YOS926 and YOS936.

Pete

polishing advice

Do a search on this site for words like "polish" or "restoration", and you'll find some advice.
If you search for the words "polish" and "Pete" at the same time, you'll find threads where I have given my advice to others, because this type of question comes up a lot (keeping in mind that "free advice" may only be worth what you pay for it :-) ). You'll find that my advice can be summed up like this:

• If you have to ask things like "who can polish it for me?", "is it worth polishing?", or "how much does a polish cost?", then the answer is "don't think about getting it polished". When you have more experience, the answers to these questions will be clear (and often the answer will still be "no").

• If you want to own a blade that is in better condition, then BUY ONE that is already in that condition. You'll save a lot of time, money, worry, and frustration. And I would strongly consider a MUMEI (unsigned) blade, because it lowers the price, and gives you the opportunity to study it and try to determine the school, time period, etc., without 'cheating' by looking up the signature with Google.

Of course, this is all just MY opinion. Stan and other experienced collectors may have different advice.

Pete

Thank you Pete

Thank you Pete