Macarthur Tanto

Gents,
Some pictures of the inside of this snapped tanto showing the two part construction. I'm guessing it was snapped during the occupation in accordance with the weapons disposal order. It looks like it was a very beautiful piece back in the day, maybe the G.I. could not let it go to the smelter even in two pieces.

Semper Fi,
Bob

AttachmentSize
dsc00214.jpg86.16 KB
dsc00215.jpg211.54 KB
dsc00216.jpg96.3 KB
dsc00217.jpg101.22 KB

Hi Bob, This is interesting.

Hi Bob,

This is interesting. I've seen blades sawed-off, but never snapped like this. Thanks for publishing it.

Stan

core steel

It looks like the core steel was not centered, such that the edge was really the outer steel. Also note how the core and outer steel are not really bonded to each other.

Pete

Correct, The core is not

Correct, The core is not centered and the bonding/weld like you see is not fully bonded into each other. I've seen this type of manufacture on some video's on making traditional Nihonto, but they did not show the bonding, just the inserting the core into the jacket.

There is a lot of details/hataraki in the blade from the hamon on up, one day when I get some waterstones and after practice on basic home knifes, I'll use it as a polishing practice piece to see what that skill is all about.