Newbe looking for translation

Hello All,
Looking to get a translation or clarification on this sword.

Lots more photos if needed.
Thank You,
Pavel

AttachmentSize
100_5773.jpg195.14 KB
saya3.jpg40.83 KB
katana25.jpg60.72 KB
katana26.jpg58.1 KB
katana27.jpg130.13 KB
katana28.jpg138.84 KB

Kanenami 兼波

Hi Pavel,

It's Kanenami 兼波 (can be confused with Kanetoshi 兼俊). There is no record for this signature in Nihonto Club database.

I saw a sword with similar signature for sale on Ryujin's site some time ago.

I noticed your thread on http://www.nihontomessageboard.com/. Guys from NMB are very knowledgeable. You may trust their opinion.

Regards,
Stan

Hello Stan, Nice to meet

Hello Stan,

Nice to meet you.

Also agree that the learned gentlemen on the NMB are very knowledgeable, and I like the board.
I am attempting to learn enough, to even ask the right questions before I anger too many people.
Honestly do not know whether it is Kanenami, Kanetoshi or Kanemasa, the fact that it is Kane- is enough for me right now. With so many variables available it would seem only fair to actually see the sword before making any concrete judgements. Hopefully by the end of my studies I will have learned to read it myself.
I am trying to learn how to "open a window" on the blade.
More than likely it is a production blade, but it is important enough to me to know for sure.
If I damaged or lost a nihonto in any way, it would be hard to forgive myself.

Thanks for the response,
Pavel

no Windows

Hi Pavel,
I do not recommend any sort of "amateur polishing", including "opening a window". It requires knowledge/skill to not damage the blade, and then it requires more knowledge to understand what you can see 'through the window'.

Some collectors might disagree with me. But I will not allow them to use any stones on my blades... :-)

You will learn much more by simply showing your blade to an experienced collector, who can point out many things to you, and show you various good/bad examples of things.

Pete

Guntou

By the way, your blade appears to be a fairly standard "guntou" (military sword) from WWII. The saya on yours is Army (not Navy) style.

The faint markings on the tang (on the back side) are a 3-digit "assembly number" (the middle one is "6"). You may find the same numbers on the saya or tsuba. At the 'factory' where it was made, it was a way to match the blade to the other pieces.

This type of blade is partially hand-made. They used shortcuts to make blades faster, such as oil-quenching instead of water-quenching.

Pete

Hi Pavel,I also wouldn't

Hi Pavel,

I also wouldn't recommend 'opening a window'. And not only due to considerations in regards to the required skills, but also specifically looking at this sword. There is no active rust and the blade seems to be in a fair state. And in my opinion, this is the way this sword should stay, having an appearance of a war-time artifact, properly aged in respect to its history. Amateur polishing will make it worse if not destroy it. Professional polish will cost you more than if you bought another, better blade in good condition and left this sword as is (there is also a chance that it won't be accepted by a professional polisher). And even if completed, I'm afraid professional polish can actually make the sword look worse than it is now. It's like a mirror: the clearer it is, the more defects you will see. 'Opening the window' will leave a bald patch of fresh polish and ruin the sword in its current condition forever.

I would highly recommend you to read Facts and Fundamentals of Japanese Swords. A Collector's Guide before doing anything with this sword.

Regards,
Stan

Knowledge and fun are friends

saipan59 wrote:

Hi Pavel,
I do not recommend any sort of "amateur polishing", including "opening a window". It requires knowledge/skill to not damage the blade, and then it requires *more* knowledge to understand what you can see 'through the window'.

Some collectors might disagree with me. But I will not allow them to use any stones on *my* blades... :-)

You will learn much more by simply showing your blade to an experienced collector, who can point out many things to you, and show you various good/bad examples of things.

Pete

I am in touch right now with a professional polisher by email.
Wonderful man, quite helpful.
After looking at photos of the blade he told me I could use my hazuya stone on the temper line.

saipan59 wrote:

By the way, your blade appears to be a fairly standard "guntou" (military sword) from WWII. The saya on yours is Army (not Navy) style.

The faint markings on the tang (on the back side) are a 3-digit "assembly number" (the middle one is "6"). You may find the same numbers on the saya or tsuba. At the 'factory' where it was made, it was a way to match the blade to the other pieces.

This type of blade is partially hand-made. They used shortcuts to make blades faster, such as oil-quenching instead of water-quenching.

Pete

My major concern is that it was an old family blade, in order for me to know for sure, guess I need to clean up the hamon.
It is changing as I clean.
There is a signature on the tsuba translated as Kazutoshi
And there is one on the tsuka's ho, not translated.
What ever it is, I have been provided with more fun and knowledge then I ever expected.
Thanks for helping with that.
Pavel

No it's not

Pavel wrote:

My major concern is that it was an old family blade, in order for me to know for sure, guess I need to clean up the hamon.

I'm sorry to say that, but it's not an old family blade.

I know how you feel about it because most collectors go through the same development of their knowledge and they always have hopes that they found something rare and significant. At some stage I was exactly like that. Luckily, no swords were damaged in the process.

Eager

kazarena wrote:

I'm sorry to say that, but it's not an old family blade.

I know how you feel about it because most collectors go through the same development of their knowledge and they always have hopes that they found something rare and significant. At some stage I was exactly like that. Luckily, no swords were damaged in the process.

Hiya Stan,

Yes, I think you are right, and I am not sorry, it is a nice blade none the less, with no flaws other than the sanding and painting,(sounds as sad as it is).
Luckily I have the net, and some of the right people connected, who will hopefully help me to not damage any thing.

IMHO having people look for something rare and significant is a good thing. With the advent of the digital camera we have a world wide wealth of experts such as yourself, at our finger tip.

I am stoked and eager to learn more.
Pavel

bad advice, IMO

Pavel wrote:

I am in touch right now with a professional polisher by email.
Wonderful man, quite helpful.
After looking at photos of the blade he told me I could use my hazuya stone on the temper line.

I think he gave you very poor advice. It is irresponsible. I can think of two reasons why he might have said this:
1) He is not really a qualified polisher.
2) He thinks that your blade is such poor quality that "you can't do any harm" (but he would be wrong).

Stan got it right: The blade should be left as-is, because it is a historic item from WWII.

Here's an example of why any type of amateur polishing is a bad idea:
If you remove metal in one spot (any spot), then to "finish the job" you must remove metal across the entire surface of the blade. If you don't remove metal equally across the surface, then there will be a "dip" or "wave" in the shape. It might look OK from 6 feet away, but it not look good up close. And it is VERY EASY to remove too much metal in one spot, and then to "fix" it the polisher must remove more metal everywhere.
This is where meeting with an experienced collector is so helpful - he can show you an example of a good, proper polish; and compare it to a normal WWII guntou polish. The differences are difficult to see in photos, but become obvious when someone shows you exactly what to look at.

Pete

English-speaking polishers are very rare

One more thing: Since you are communicating with this polisher in English (I assume), then he is most likely NOT any of the real Japanese togishi. I can think of only two English-speaking guys who are "qualified" togishi - there may be one more, perhaps...?

Pete

saipan59 wrote:

One more thing: Since you are communicating with this polisher in English (I assume), then he is most likely NOT any of the real Japanese togishi. I can think of only two English-speaking guys who are "qualified" togishi - there may be one more, perhaps...?

Pete

Hi Pete,

I pick number two.
2) "He thinks that your blade is such poor quality that "you can't do any harm" (but he would be wrong)."

Because of who gave me his name he must be of the highest caliber available. I know he is a very nice guy to answer my baka questions without knowing me at all. His english is impeccable, so he must be one of the guys you know.
I am very leery of throwing around names on the net.
Suffice it to say, I have a Sensei, so I am not without instruction.
My Sensei to me is the ultimate authority on swords.
Time with him is so valuable, I will not waste it on frivolous or unthoughtful questions.
This and other forums have become a valuable resource for me.
Just reading the posts and archives are as informative as any book.
Pavel

Never get rich polishing swords

saipan59 wrote:

I think he gave you very poor advice.
Pete

Hi All,

Just an update, as I research this sword.
The sword is marked with Kanenami
The tsuka is also marked with Kanenami only a more stylized script, and the tsuba is signed with Kazutoshi.
To me a novice it seems strange for a production peice, unless Kanenami is a another name for apprentice or something.

I also wanted to put in another post defending the polisher I talked to.
I am a craftsman, wood mostly, and I have some very sharp tools.
Been sharpening a very long time, I know about different angles, bevels, grits and compounds.
I have many different grit stones, both natural and man made, I also have a hazuya stone.
Use it on my carving chisels before I go to a leather strop.
So I am not ignorant to the idea of sharping or polishing tools. Looked up the technique for using the hazuya and for the first time I used it on a sword, first on a old cutter to test it, and then on the guntau.
IT is amazing! and started to bring out the hamon within a few minuets. I think it will work perfectly to bring it all out.
Hopefully I can take photos soon, if I have a finger left.

While searching polishing today I read at least a book, one thing stood out for me to remember the rest of my life.

"Gratification for the polisher will come from the emotion of the beholder."*(Legacy Arts Swords)

This spoke to my heart
Pavel