Saya help needed please

I’m new to the Club but am really excited and privileged to have been accepted. Thank you.
My question concerns the saya in the attached photos.
I know the top “knob” kurikata is for the sageo, but I wondered if anybody knows what the other knob is called in Japanese and what purpose it served.
Any comments would be gratefully received.
Many thanks

60684c5e-9395-4c46-b261-6ec7f136b18b.jpeg987.28 KB
9e3c5c4c-eb42-4d75-a182-315b428e4107.jpeg1.49 MB