Wakizashi Identification

Hello- I have had this Wakizashi sword for almost 20 years. It was handed down to me form my Grandfather who served in WW2. I know almost nothing about it and appreciate any comments as to its origin.
Thank you,
Ben

AttachmentSize
img_0567.jpg1.9 MB
img_0564.jpg1.94 MB
img_0563.jpg2 MB

Hirosada

Hi, I think the signature says Hizen Kuni Hirosada. You can look him up on the database here and there seem to be a few examples if you google him. It's hard to tell much from the blade in the photos.

Hirosada

Looper's correct. HIR367 or HIR368 would be a good guess.

Pete

Thank you for helping to

Thank you for helping to identify this sword. Some of Hirosada's swords online are beautiful. It looks like I can have this sword refurbished. Does anyone know who would be best at this? Is it a good idea to have it refurbished?

polishing

Hi Ben,
Yes, it is possible to have it polished, but it is a very expensive and time-consuming process. The cost would be a "4-digit number" - perhaps $2000 or so.
Most polishers ("togishi") are in Japan, but there are a very few qualified togishi in the West.
In most cases, I personally don't recommend polishing. The best candidates for polishing are more advanced collectors (who know exactly why they are doing it), or wealthy folks with "money to burn".

I see from your profile that you are here in Colorado Springs - me too. What part of town are you in? If you would like to meet somewhere, perhaps I could look at your blade and give you some more detailed "free advice" (of course, sometimes "free advice" is worth what you pay for it :-) ).

Pete

Hi Pete, What an awesome

Hi Pete,

What an awesome coincidence! I would love to meet up sometime. I'm on the NE side of the springs, close to Powers and Dublin but I can meet anywhere in town. Please feel free to call me anytime: 605-471-zero 034.

Thank you for the polishing advice, I would like to discuss it further. Hope to hear from you soon.

Ben

Ben's Hirosada

Met Ben for lunch today, and we looked over his Hirosada blade.

It's in pretty good shape - no apparent serious flaws. HAMON is fairly clear in most places - appears to show some TOBIYAKI.
The quality of the old polish looked fairly good to me, although there are lots of small scratches, some superficial rust staining here and there.
Several small chips in the HA (maybe half-millimeter or less).
Two-piece HABAKI - copper and gilt copper. It is partially damaged.
SAYA has a WWII-type leather cover.
TSUKA is leather-wrapped - probably 20th century (not sure). The SAME has a 'nodule'.
MENUKI are interesting, and could possibly be old, but I'm not sure, and we didn't have a magnifier to look closer with.
TSUBA, FUCHI, and KASHIRA are all brass - likely WWII period. I believe they are a "purchased upgrade", over the default KODOGU seen on many wartime blades. The TSUBA has a notch for a release button (like seen on many GUNTO mounts), but the notch is hidden under a normal SEPPA, so it can't be used anyway. The wood of the TSUKA and SAYA were not made for a release button.
NAKAGO is in good condition. Patina is consistent with early Edo period (17th century), in my opinion. Signed KATANA-MEI.
SORI is average or slightly shallow for the size - appears to be slightly KOSHI-ZORI. Overall, it looks/feels a bit thin and lightweight compared to typical blades of that period (but I could be wrong). Perhaps it was made to imitate an older style.
NAGASA is something like 23 inches, as I recall.

Pete

Re: Ben's Hirodsada

Pete,

Thank you again for taking the time to look at my blade. The level of detail you have provided is absolutely amazing. I am interested in finding out more about the Menuki. I'll attach some close up pictures in a new thread. Are there any Menuki experts around?

Ben