Need Comments on the smiths

I am very new to the hobby and I have been reading on Nihoto to gain knowldege. I am thinking of getting my first real Sinto Nihonto Katana and with a budget between Yen 600,000 - 850,000.

I have streamlined to three makers from a internet web page and all three come with the NBTHK Tokubetsu Hozon papers. Despite readings the history of the makers, how do one decide?

1. Omi No Kami Tsuguhira or
  2. bichiyu_no_kami yasuhiro](2 generations)(ohsaka ishidou wazamono)
  3. musashitarou yasukuni] (sintou jou-saku)

Thanks for your enlightenment.

Which do you like?

I think it would need to come down to which sword do you like the most? There are other people on this forum who could probably tell you which looks like the better blade, but all three are different with their own character. Without being able to see and handle them you can only go on the photos. So my advice would be to go for the blade that speaks to you, and to a lesser extent the koshirae (since that's part of what you would be paying for).

Hi Francis, It's probably

Hi Francis,

It's probably going to sound like a very unhelpful advice, but if you don't know which smith to go for, don't buy any swords just yet and better invest into few more books. When you are buying a sword, the main question is not 'which one' but 'why'. And if you don't have an answer just yet, don't go for it, or you may be disappointed later and end up with a sword you don't like and it can be hard to sell. While if you know about 'why', you'll love it from the very first minute. Someone may give you his/her answer 'why', but it won't be yours. They may be at a different phase of collecting/appreciation and have different goals.

Regards,
Stan

Swords smith

Dear ALL, Dear Stan

Thanks for your reply.

I have read up from the sources and realised that that are hundreds of swordsmiths working running from the 5 main schools and their various lineages. Given the range from Koto to the new sowrd and new new sword until the military sowrds, my focus will be on the "new sword" era from the Edo period.

As I am currently in Bangkok where I only see fake Swords and its a challenge not having a real sword on hand to view.

Swords smith

Dear ALL, Dear Stan

Thanks for your reply.

I have read up from the sources and realised that that are hundreds of swordsmiths working running from the 5 main schools and their various lineages. Given the range from Koto to the new sowrd and new new sword until the military sowrds, my focus will be on the "new sword" era from the Edo period.

As I am currently in Bangkok where I only see fake Swords and its a challenge not having a real sword on hand to view.

Swords

Thanks for the advice.

I like the comment with regards to the blade that speaks to you.

How important is the Koshirae for collector since most of the polished swords need to be put in the new shirasaya?
For me, the Koshirae looks nice and give the overall sword the complete "antique" feel.

Following my readings and research, I have decided that my focus of Nihonto collection should be of the Koto era circa Nanbokucho era..

Thanks for all your kind advice.

Koshirae collecting is often

Koshirae collecting is often separate. It can be high quality or low quality, and it may or may not be from the same time period. It may not be original to the blade - assembled later by someone. There is a different set of knowledge needed.
If you are buying a blade that includes "nice" koshirae, then the price will reflect that, because good koshirae is very expensive.
Be careful of a "nice" blade that has cheap koshirae - there may be something wrong with the blade.

Pete

Koshirae

saipan59 wrote:

Koshirae collecting is often separate. It can be high quality or low quality, and it may or may not be from the same time period. It may not be original to the blade - assembled later by someone. There is a different set of knowledge needed.
If you are buying a blade that includes "nice" koshirae, then the price will reflect that, because good koshirae is very expensive.
Be careful of a "nice" blade that has cheap koshirae - there may be something wrong with the blade.

Pete

Thanks for the great advice. Will keep that in mind when searching.

Cheers,

Francis