inoue izume no kami kunisada

Hi i am here just getting some opinions on a sword that i own, don't know to much about it, but do know that it's signed by inoue izume no kami kunisada. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated

AttachmentSize
3.jpg128.04 KB
5.jpg61.53 KB
6.jpg55.73 KB
8.jpg74.81 KB

Hi Chris, I'll compile some

Hi Chris,

I'll compile some info about Kunisada on weekend and post it here.

Stan

Hi Stan, I am looking forward

Hi Stan,

I am looking forward to what you find.

Chris

Kunisada

Chris,

I had a look at your sword pictures. It would be helpful to see the pictures of the whole blade, as well as some close-ups of the blade surface.

First of all, a bit of history: there were 3 smiths who signed 'Inoue Izumi to Kami Kunisada': Kunisada 1st gen, Kunisada 2nd gen - also known as Inoue Shinkai, Kunisada 3rd gen. Here's a very good article which provides a detailed comparison of signatures between the first 2 generations: http://www.nihontocraft.com/Izumi_no_Kami_Kunisada_mei.html.

It's not possible to say with any degree of confidence which Kunisada made your sword (or if it's a fake signature) based on pictures of the tang, but if you look at the article you may find that there are good leads towards the famous Shinkai and it's a good solid signature too. Inoue Shinkai is a top class smith (and his swords are pretty expensive too) and there were many forgeries, even in the old times. I would recommend contacting your local sword society and showing your sword to them. It's not impossible you got a gem of a sword!

Regards,
Stan

kunisada

Stan,

Hello Stan I will take some close ups of the blade but I have attachments of the entire blade under the pictures of the blades signature.

Ah, I didn't notice that the

Ah, I didn't notice that the attachments are different.

It's a beautiful sword and its features look like Shinkai. Again, these are just speculations because it's impossible to be certain just from looking at pictures. I highly recommend to show it to somebody knowledgeable in person.

Regards,
Stan

P.S. I really envy you now :-)