Identified swordsmith for wakizashi is Kanewaka?

Happy new year everyone, may your realistic wishes come true!

I am wondering if anyone can help me identify by which sword smith this wakizashi was made. I have the following info: Kanewaka of Kaga Province and is dated 1656. Is Kanewaka the sword smith? There are multiple entries for kanewaka in the data base, but I am thinking this one: KAN2899. Is that correct? If so than this is the 2nd gen kanewaka (http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/kanewaka.htm)...?

"Kashu ju Kanewaka" 賀州住兼若

What does the kanji on the other side translate to...?

Thanks for your help,

Chris

AttachmentSize
kanewaki_waki.png1.07 MB
kanewaki-2.png608.61 KB

Kanewaka

Yes, the signature is "KASHUu JUu KANEWAKA".
The date actually reads "MEIREKI NI NEN HACHI GATSU KICHI NICHI".
Meireki is the time period from 1655 to 1657.
NI NEN means "2nd year" (1656 in this case).
HACHI GATSU means August.
KICHI NICHI means "a lucky/auspicious day".

Note that swords were often dated as either February or August, because those are auspicious months, even though the blade may have been made in some other month.

I cannot verify if the smith is KAN2899 or not. KAN2900 is possible also. That requires specific knowledge/research on the Kanewaka line.
Or, it could of course be a GIMEI (false signature).

Pete

Thank you for your detailed

Thank you for your detailed feedback describing the Kanji.

It seems that KAN2900 was active during a later period, about 15 years later. Based on what I see now, I am going with KAN2899 until someone corrects me or until I can find more details about the kanewaza line beyond what I found on http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/kanewaka.htm The Hamon appears to fit the school or at least very similar in shape as other Kanewaka blades I have seen.

If I can find a better match, I may send it in to NBTHK to get a definite answer.

Chris

Hi Chris, I will look into it

Hi Chris,

I will look into it tonight or over weekend. It's not unusual to have a mismatch between the signature and the 'active period' because smith's active period is not always precise and in some sources refers to a median or the most representative period, not the full period.

Stan

Great!

kazarena wrote:

Hi Chris,

I will look into it tonight or over weekend. It's not unusual to have a mismatch between the signature and the 'active period' because smith's active period is not always precise and in some sources refers to a median or the most representative period, not the full period.

Stan

Great,

Thanks for your help, Stan!

Sorry Chris, I didn't have a

Sorry Chris, I didn't have a chance to look at Kanewaka yet and now I'm going to be away from my sources for the next 10 days. I promise I'll check the books when I'm back.

Stan

Great!

No Problem, I am looking forward to your reply when you get a chance to dive in your resources.

Chris

Nidai

Chris,

Kanewaka Nidai (2nd gen) was active in Meireki period. There's a katana in Shinto Taikan, Vol. 1, by this smith, with a signature very close to yours, both by style and position. It doesn't confirm it's not a gimei, but it gives more confidence that it might be a genuine Nidai.

Regards,
Stan

Thanks Stan

Many Thanks Stan!

Where would I go to for getting a scan or photograph of that photo for my references...?

Chris de Feijter

Hi Chris,I added that sword

Hi Chris,

I added that sword from Shinto Taikan here.

By the way, I just realised the book doesn't explicitly call out this sword as Nidai, but puts it in between Nidai and Sandai. But Sandai has a very distictive SHŪ, so I think this one is by Nidai Kanewaka.

Stan

Fantastic

kazarena wrote:

Hi Chris,

I added that sword from Shinto Taikan [here](/swords/0000-1430).

By the way, I just realised the book doesn't explicitly call out this sword as Nidai, but puts it in between Nidai and Sandai. But Sandai has a very distictive SHŪ, so I think this one is by Nidai Kanewaka.

Stan

Well, Many thanks Stan, greatly appreciated. This is the information I was looking for. You helped me big time.

Chris