mei help

Hello to all sword enthusiasts, I am having trouble reading the characters of my mei especially the second character not that I am particularly good at reading any :), would appreciate any help.

cheers

Keven

AttachmentSize
_dsc9080.jpg91.12 KB

Yasuhiro

Hi, don't know what the first two are saying, but the last two look like Yasuhiro, have a look at YAS77 in the swordsmith index.

thanks

will take a look

Yasuhiro

Hi Keven,

I can't read the second character either.

That's right, YAS77 is the only recorded smith who signed 安泰 according to Nihonto Meikan. Your signature looks fresh, is it a modern (Gendaito) sword?

Regards,
Stan

more images

Hi Stan,

Yes it does appear to be a modern sword, I am still researching along with some other swords I have.

cheers

Keven

fake ?

It looks a bit fake to me.
The grain is much too obvious. The polish is incredibly bad. The tang is new-looking, and crudely made. The tsuba looks like a cast-brass repro, with the gold painted on. Real non-iron tsuba are quite rare, I believe.

What is the whitish stuff in the signature? If you clean it out, can you see individual chisel marks? Or is each kanji stamped (Chinese fakes seem to use stamped kanji, presumably because doing a real chiseled signature is much too hard and takes a lot of time).

Sorry,
Pete

Thanks Pete

This one did concern me and your comments make sense, I wont spend too much more time on this one.

cheers

Keven