Shin Gunto in Modern Mounts from Ryujin Swords

I tried to buy one of two World War 2 Shin Gunto in modern mounts from a web site called Ryujin Swords which had two for sale at £400 each which being a pensioner I found that I could just about afford. The site also stated that you could pay for the swords with a 25% deposit and then pay off the balance when required but the sword would stay the property of Ryujin Swords until fully paid for. I though this would be ideal for me as i wouldn't have to fork out the entire amount in one go. I contacted Ryujin Swords and asked there opinion which of the two swords would be the best purchase and could I put one of them on hold until I sent them the 25% deposit. They didn't even have the courtesy to answer my email so how they do any business I have no idea, has any other members dealt with this company before ? It was a great chance for me to get one of these as I have been after a Shin Gunto for ages but the prices were way out of my reach, so I will have to keep looking or does any members know where I might be able to obtain one which is not too expensive.

Ryujin Swords

Hi Alan,

I have dealt with Kevin from Ryujin Swords in the past and my experience was nothing but positive. He is an honest and passionate Nihonto dealer and I would highly recommend trying to reach him by email or phone again and see what he says. It's very unlikely he would deliberately turn down business.

Regards,
Stan

Shin Gunto

Hi Stan
I have emailed him twice, maybe it's because I asked him which of the two Shin Guntos I should purchase or because the sword is only £400 and not thousands like the others he has, anyway he has lost a sale. Even if he was away on holiday he should have least put a note on his web site to say he is away, I'm not impressed. On the other side of the coin I sent one of my Tsukas away to a company called Two Moons Tsuka Restoration and Wayne the guy who owns it couldn't have been more helpful, I can highly recommend this guy for anyone who wants a Tsuka rewrapped. He charges £58 for any size Tsuka wrapped in Japanese Cotton, if you want new Same panels and wrapped then it's £73 plus there are other options.

Best Regards
Alan

Ryujin

I have never done business there, but was just looking at the Ryujin site.
He appears to have honest descriptions of things, without making "questionable" claims. For example, on the Showato, he mentions that it is not traditionally made, and that it has no hada. I think many dealers would not bother to mention these things, because they could discourage a newbie.
Looks like a good dealer to me.

A comment about the two NCO blades that you were looking at:
The Ryujin description looks completely legit, but note that (in my opinion) those blades are ONLY good for things like IAI practice. The blades are not "Nihonto", and therefore have no value as "Japanese art swords". And because they also no longer have the original NCO mountings, they are not worth much as "Japanese militaria" either.
So to me, those swords are not a good collector's item in either category.

Pete

Shin Gunto

I have been in contact with Kevin of Ryujin Swords and everything was sorted out a nice guy to deal with, very helpful indeed