genuine mei ?

Hello all,
A friend I resently met in Dublin has a collection of nihonto and no computer so sent me pictures from his phone to as for your help, I think the 1st is kanesada but is it gimei ? The other is on what he describes as a gassan blade,
Many thanks
Peter

AttachmentSize
img_5922.jpg259.49 KB

Gassan Sadakatsu

The first one (engraved on the blade) is "Gassan Sadakatsu saku".

The second one (tang) appears to be "Bishu Osafune (something)-Sada saku". Can't see what the "something" is.

Pete

don't ask

BTW, you shouldn't really ask if something is gimei based on a fuzzy cell-phone picture...

Also, asking "is it gimei" is asking someone to do research and then give an opinion. It's asking for a lot, I think.

Pete

Hi Peter, As noted by Pete,

Hi Peter,

As noted by Pete, it's not possible to identify whether this sword is a gimei or not based on mobile phone pictures. Even opinions based on high quality photos would most likely be highly speculative.

I'm not sure what to say about that 'Gassan'. I've never heard of Gassan Sadakatsu engraving signatures this way, and hamon looks very artificial. But it may be just bad lighting...

Stan

Sadakazu

I should have said Sadakazu, not Sadakatsu...

Pete

poor images

Pete and Stan as always i so apprieciate your input in the future i will pass on the link to Nihonto club as he will also need to start somewhere. Sorry about the pics .
Kind regards
Peter