WWII Wakizashi Signature Authinticity Help Needed

I am very new to sword collecting, in fact this is my first (hopefully) authentic piece. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Any info good or bad is better than none. I have always been interested in the Japanese Samurai and would just like to learn more about the making and history of the best edged weapons ever made.

Teramoto Mitsuyama (fake)

I'm sorry to tell you that your blade is a fake, made in China.
The 'signature' says Teramoto Mitsuyama, but it's a made-up name.
See here, where someone bought one with the same signature:
http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2645
Hopefully you didn't pay much for it, or you can get your money back...

Pete

fake features

I suppose I should tell you why it looks like a Chinese fake:
- The signature is not a series of small chisel strokes like it should be, rather it appears to have been "stamped", either one character at a time, or perhaps the entire signature in one stroke.
- The tang is not properly shaped, does not have authentic-looking rust for 65 years, and no decent file marks.
- The "hi" (groove in the blade) looks like it was done with a power tool.
- The shape of the kissaki (tip) is bad - done with a power grinder, probably.
- The 'obvious' grain in the steel doesn't fit.
- The short blade is mounted in a full-length tsuka (handle). Not impossible, but very unlikely.
- Etc.

Pete

The tsuba is a giveaway for

The tsuba is a giveaway for me. The bubbles are apparent that this was poured and not carved.

Thanks all, and damn I feel

Thanks all, and damn I feel dumb.

tsuba

T_Cunning wrote:
The tsuba is a giveaway for me. The bubbles are apparent that this was poured and not carved.

In the WWII time frame, that style of tsuba was made of cast brass. It was a "standard" design, along with the other metal fittings that we see on this blade. The style is copied from a very old tachi (a tachi is a long sword worn edge-down, and it hangs from the belt, rather than being thrust into the belt). The majority of gunto have this same style of fittings, including the cast-brass tsuba. However, some are found with simple iron tsuba, or with the standard style but a much higher quality - I think this was an "upgrade" that a soldier could buy.

Pete

So is it worth nothing? I did

So is it worth nothing? I did not pay much, hopefully I can make my money back!!

Gunto fittings were cast, but

Gunto fittings were cast, but this is absolutely a Chinese fake so it's a moot point.