buying my first (2)

New question on basic blade types.

1) I see them with and without blade groves. Does this feature have significance as to age and value?

2) At the tip I see some that have a change in "plane" or facet along the Ha (sharp edge?) whereby there is a profile "break" @ the tip. Is this a katana shape? And some blades maintain the same edge plane all the way to the tip. Does this have significance?

3) Can anyone recommend a basic resource text, book, website I can start with.

thanx for the help

Here is a pic from Peters collection photos that shows what I am asking about. Some swords have this and others do not.

kissaki types

1) The groove is called a "hi" or "bohi". Most often, it is there to control the weight/balance, but in some cases it is just decorative. I don't think it is much related to age or value. It is NOT a "blood groove" as described on some Western swords and bayonets.

2) Your picture shows the most common type of kissaki (point/tip) in a Japanese sword. Almost all katana and wakizashi will have it. A tanto usually has the other type that you described (where the plane of the blade continues all the way to the tip).

Pete

Thanx Pete. I was concerned

Thanx Pete. I was concerned that the different types were a sign of blade authenticity. I am currently attracted to the first type with the profile break, but I will consider the other type also now that I know that they can also be authentic.

-

paul
“Crazy Horse had the power to dream himself into the real world,and leave the illusion behind.”

more kissaki

There is some truth to the idea of looking at the tip for "authenticity". A modern Chinese-made fake is (I believe) unlikely to have the proper surfaces and angles.
The catch is that the differences are not obvious, until someone can point out the features to you - it's difficult to see the details in pictures.
Also note that the details we're talking about are primarily done by the polisher, not by the forging process.

Pete

Hey Paul! You asked about

Hey Paul!

You asked about basic resource books. "The Connoisseurs Book of Japanese Swords" is I think an easy to understand place to start. It gives straight forward info on sword anatomy, changes in shapes/styles over the centuries, explanations of all the terms you'll see here in this forum and elsewhere etc.

Good luck in your search.

/Ken

-

Ken
聞くは一時の恥 聞かぬは一生の恥
(Asking makes one appear foolish. Not asking makes one foolish.)