Authentification mei

Bonjours
I already came towards you in June 2010 for the authentification of a signed tanto Yasutsugu, and one my informed about the mei of yasutsugu 2 ième generation and it been very exact. Since I made him (it) restored and I am very cash there. I still thank the person who my informed in the time (period). The I come towards you for a wakizashi of 41, 5 cms of nagasa, and without kizu nor rust visible, the blade is signed Chikuzen Ju Minamoto Nobokuni. But I looked well in certain books at the level of the school of Chikuzen created by Chikuzen Ju Minamoto Nobokuni Yoshisada in the Shinto time (period), he (it) ya a lot of separation at the level of her(it) lined with patronymics to every smith but there is Chikuzen Ju Minamoto Nobokuni's signature. I found well on an internet page by typing Chikuzen province a site nome JCJP JapaneseClass. JP there is a photo of a wakizashi really looks like mine but a little bigger signed Chikuzen Ju Minamoto Nobokuni. I shall like to have

Yoshisada Nidai

Dear Eric,

I looked for the signature:

筑前住源信國
chikuzen ju minamoto nobukuni

in the books I have. I particularly paid attention to a peculiar way 前 and 國 were cut. Most of the Chikuzen Nobukuni smiths made KUNI in a more vertical fashion (more like 国). While Yoshisada, both 1st and 2nd generations, had KUNI made in the same way as on your sword. One nakago which looks the most similar to yours is in Nihonto Zuikan [1] page 813, but the signature is 'chikuzen ju minamoto nobukuni yoshisada'. Both position and style of the signature look similar. It's a sword of Nobukuni Yoshisada Nidai. I also compared in to Shodai, but I don't think it's him. He also made mostly katana.

Next step would be to look at the workmanship and compare it with confirmed works of Nidai Yoshisada.

Please note that there were many Chikuzen Nobukuni smiths, and according to the books few of them made 國 in a similar fashion (I think it's so called hidari-ji manner). Because 'Yoshisada' is not present in your signature, it may still be somebody else whose works I didn't see in the books.

Anyway, in my humble opinion it's quite likely Nobukuni Yoshisada 2nd.

P.S. I turned your photo of the nakago counterclockwise to make the signature more readable.

P.P.S. On a side note, when I was looking into the book I found something which was unnoticed before. It comes with the autograph of Kataoka-sensei himself, just inside the hard bounds!

References

1. Nihonto Zuikan, Kataoka, Ginsaku , Volume Shinto, Tokyo, p.1067, (1984)

authentification mei

Bonjours
Thanks to Kazarena for this information for the signature of Waki. I you sending 2 photos of a waki which I found on-site internet. I do not know the seriousness of this site, but the photos if one looking like enough my Wakizashi. I shall like knowing that you think of it. I do not understand the last message which you sent me.

kazarena wrote:

P.P.S. We have side note, when I was looking into the portfolio I found something which was unnoticed before. It comes with the autograph of Kataoka-sensei himself, just inside the hard bounds!

Faith thank you for all .Encore miles.
Very friendly

Administrator's Note: this post was merged from another thread. The following images were added:

11318wakizashichikuzennobukuni2.jpg

11318wakizashichikuzennobukuni1.jpg

Hi Eric,Apologies, the last

Hi Eric,

Apologies, the last part of my post had nothing to do with your request. I was just making a note that I found an autograph of the author of the book.

The signature on this sword does look like the other one, but please note that 國 is completely different. Personally I would think that similarities between the signatures and overall tang appearance may well be explained by presumption that the swords were made around the same time and by smith of the same school. I wouldn't necessarily say it's the same smith.

What do you think?

Regards,
Stan

authentification mei

I you are perfectly right, I think that really have of the same school, he(it) stays in me more case to look for resemblances with other nakago of the school of Echikuzen. But I showed the photo of the nakago to somebody considered in the job(business) by the sabre, and he(it) puts a doubt on the way in summer engraved(burnt) the mei on the nakago. I shall like knowing that to think of you of it.
Thank you still for all

Hi Eric,I'm not sure what

Hi Eric,

I'm not sure what you mean. The signature seemed to be well executed, in my opinion. What kind of doubts did this person have?

Regards,
Stan

authentification mei

Bonjours Stan
This person my said that for her it was not good to execute at the level of the chasing of the mei. And that the color of the nakago was bizarre for what should be a nakago of quality. To tell the truth myself, did not too much understand or the person wanted to come there. But all it is not grave, I think that the quality of the steel of wakizashi is really very good is that once repolie it can be a wakizashi very beautiful. I shall like asking you for a last service of your part if ca do not disturb you too much, is to send me via the site a photo of the nakago which you saw in Nihonto Zuikan, buses I do not possess is engaged (surrenders).
Thank you still one thousand times, Stan

Hi Eric,I won't be online

Hi Eric,

I won't be online for the next 10 days. I'll post the sword from Zuikan around 11-12 July.

Regards,
Stan

Posted

Hi Eric,

I've posted a record for the sword from Nihonto Zuikan here.

Regards,
Stan

Merging threads

Hi Eric,

I merged your other threads and comments regarding this sword into this thread to make it easier to read.

Regards,
Stan

wakizashi Chikuzen

Hello, Stan
I return towards you about my wakizashi, I have just noticed in the light artificial that on the shinogi-ji by leaving of the munemachi that he(it) ya had a light line of tempering ( martensite ) which goes towards the kissaki, but I see her(it) not whole coaches the waki na not be repolie. I shall like knowing if it is common (current), and if it is typical of the school of Echikuzen, I looked and I found nothing in subject, little you to help me on it.
Thank you very much
Very friendly
Eric

Pour Stan

Bonjours Stan
Je reviens vers vous au sujet de mon wakizashi, je viens de m’apercevoir à la lumière artificiel que sur le shinogi-ji en partant du munemachi qu’il ya avais une légère ligne de trempe (martensite) qui va vers le kissaki, mais je la voie pas entière cars le waki na pas été repolie. J’aimerai savoir si cela est courant, et si c’est typique de l’école de Echikuzen, j’ai cherché et je n’ai rien trouvé à se sujet, pouvez vous m’aider sur ce sujet.
Merci beaucoup
Bien amicalement
Eric

Hi Eric, Do you mean that

Hi Eric,

Do you mean that there is a tempering line on the mune side of the blade?

Is it like this, but with more even appearance?

Regards,
Stan

Echikuzen Wakizashi

Salut Stan
Oui s'est bien ça , de la martensite sur le shinogi-ji. Mais les recherche sur ce wakizashi ne sont plus important pour moi en se qui me concerne, mais juste pour l'étude et ma curiosité , cars je vient de faire un échange de mon waki par un superbe inro signé Inagawa Nakaharu du milieu XIX. En tous cas merci à toi pour toutes ces recherche, et je dit à bientôt pour certainement de nouvelle recherche.

Bien amicalement

Eric

Hi Eric, Enjoy your

Hi Eric,

Enjoy your inro!

Regards,
Stan