katana sword. help, fake are real?

we have a katana sword. wonder if anyone could help me. is it real? or fake? i had a problem attaching my photos they are too big. You can go to www.cadyauction.com to view. go to upcoming aucitons, then photos of sword. Thanks to anyone that can help me! we do not want to sell a fake!

Nidai Kunisuke

Hi,

It's real in the sense of being an authentic Japanese sword.

The state of sword's polish doesn't allow me to look at its properties. Judging by the signature alone, I'm 50/50 on signature's authenticity: some elements of the Kunisuke's signature match examples which can be found in [1] (p. 274-275), some don't. I would suggest asking some knowledgeable person to examine the sword, to be certain.

Regards,
Stan

References

1. Nihon Toko Jiten, Fujishiro, Matsuo , Volume Shinto, (1964)

** moved from a separate thread **

Thank you so much for your reply. Someone told us it was authentic 17th century samarui sword. do you thing that is true? I know it is difficult when all you have is photos and can't see it in person. Thanks again for your info!
Deb

------------------
From Moderator:
I moved your comment from separate thread. Apologies for not letting it through, I have to use a strong spam filter.

17th century

Deb,

If the signature is authentic and if the attribution to the second generation of Kunisuke is correct, it is a 17th century sword. Looking at the photos, I don't see any obvious reasons why it wouldn't, even though the coloration of the tang looks a bit young for 17th century (only judging by the photos). A proper assessment is required. Also as the sword is for sale, I'm trying to avoid any strong statements which may affect the sale.

Regards,
Stan