gunto's on ebay

Ok guys again forgive me if this is a dumb question. But do you think you can trust the military WII Nco Gunto's on ebay coming out of japan. I want to start adding some of these to my military collection but do not wanna lose money on a fake.so i need your opinions some are showing a signed tang.

Ebay

It's just my opinion, but I'd stay clear of ebay. There are plenty of fake Gunto out there and when you can't hold it in your hands before you buy you're always taking a risk, even if it is only that it may well look a lot better in the picture than in reality. Some nihonto dealers will at times sell the NCO swords, I think that would be somewhat safer if you can't find one you can go and see. You might get a great one ebay, but it's very easy to get burned.

China?

You said Japan, but did you mean China?
Gunto and NCO swords are not legal in Japan - I don't think anyone would be selling them openly.
A quick look on eBay, I see lots of fake stuff from China, however.

No, you don't want to buy anyting from China. Almost guaranteed to be a fake.

Pete

ebay

Thanks I saw some listed in china but some said nippon jp am assuming that is for japan and i have seen some for sale here in the usa. Alot say signed and show the tang with the writting on there but i thought most of the military gunto's were not signed but serial numbered. Can you recommend a safe place to find one. There is nowhere close to my location that would have anything like this so am kinda forced to buy online. Thanks.

There are different types of

There are different types of Gunto, old blades in wartime mounts, traditionally made, oil tempered, all the way to the mass produced NCO swords with aluminum handles. The first thing to decide would be which do you want. The NCO's would be the cheapest and are nice as militaria but aren't nihonto. If you're looking for something traditionally made it gets a lot more expensive. Then there is a muddy area of tempered blades not traditionally made. Have a look here http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/military.htm seems to explain it reasonably well.

ebay

That link help alot looper thank you. Think i will pass on the ones on ebay. And just try somewhere else.I do want at some point and time to get a true handmade Nihonto. For my collection but first i want to find a decent gunto for my military collection.

ebay

That link help alot looper thank you. Think i will pass on the ones on ebay. And just try somewhere else.I do want at some point and time to get a true handmade Nihonto. For my collection but first i want to find a decent gunto for my military collection.

listed as officers gunto on ebay

Ok here is one i am watching i read the info on the link looper gave me and i asked the seller what color the tassels were as i couldnt tell from the photo he said blue and brown. Which from the link. Means company grade officer. Please look at the photos and tell me your opinion on it the bid is already 510 dollars with 5 days left. Thank yall for your help so far

slogan

It looks like a better than average gunto. The blade might be oil-tempered, but it's hard to tell from the pictures. The 4 characters above the signature are a patriotic slogan (the type of thing commonly written on flags and banners carried by soldiers).
I'll see if I can work out the signature and date (neither is common).

Pete

ebay

Thanks pete show it appears to be real then. Cause if i spend 6 or 7 hundred on a fake. That will seriously hurt my collection savings fund.

Koa Isshin Mantetsu

The signature reads "KOA ISSHIN MANTETSU SAKU KORE".
See info here: http://www.japaneseswordindex.com/koa.htm .
See also http://ohmura-study.net/1006.html .

The date reads "SHOWA KANOE TATSUAKI".
Showa is the time period beginning in 1926.
Kanoe Tatsuaki is an obscure Chinese calendar way to say "Autumn 1940".

Not the best blade in the world, but very interesting to militaria collectors I think. The price may go pretty high, if folks figure out that it is a Koa Isshin.

Pete

Koa Isshin

Thanks Pete that article helped alot. Am going to keep watching it. If it doesnt go over 8 hundred I will bid. Thats all thats in my savings for my collection budget right now. And I just wanna say thank you to everyone on this site. You have helped me alot and I look forward to yhe day maybe I can help someone here. After I learn more about Japanese swords of course.

$3250

$3250.

ebay gunto

Yes it went well above my budget. Guess will just keep looking