unknown signature

Hi I'm giacomo from Italy, i was searching some information about the signature of my sword and finally i found Nihonto Club. I can't speak and read japanese but I've a friend that has studied oriental languages and was able to read these ideograms: 平安城住平朝臣廣光 on one face of the sword and 慶應二年春 on the other one. He has said that 慶應二年春 means second year of keiou era (1966)spring. I've searched in your swordsmith index for the first part of the signature and I found name like HEIANJO and HIROMITSU. I need your help because i can't undestand much more of what I've wrote. By By and thank you very much

Hiromitsu

Hi Giacomo,

The signature reads: Heianjō ju Taira Ason Hiromitsu - resident of Heianjō (Yamashiro province), Taira (clan) Ason (title) Hiromitsu (smith's art name). And the other side: second year of Keiō (1866). If the signature is authentic, it's must be a good blade.

Regards,
Stan

references

Thank you very much Stan for your job, I'm going to find now some new information about this smith. Have you got some book references wher i can find further news about my blade? By By Giacomo.

JSS/US

Hi Giacomo,

Have a look here. Yours is number 8. I have the last book (Fujishiro's Nihon Toko Jiten), but there isn't much about this smith on top of what you already know:

Quote:

He was a man of the Washū Kōriyama Han, his works are hirazukuri katana nado, and there are hadamono with hamon of suguba nado.

Thank you very much, I

Thank you very much, I appriciate your job.