Jumyo Shinto period Wakazashi with papers or Koto period Katana Unsigned from reputable dealer

Hello All,

After all the fun with my basement Moriie gimei, I wanted to add a more reliable and better condition piece to my collection. I found a very interesting and excellent condition Jumyo wakazashi (21.5" cutting edge) signed Hitachi No Kami Fujiwara with papers (probably year 1650) in good original polish which will cost me a bit more but still in budget or I also found a cheaper good condition Koto period Katana with 27" cutting edge in decent condition but it's unsigned with no history but dealer is reputable. I always wanted the longer Katana but wondered what anyone else thought about these two choices. Any thoughts on the Jumyo swordsmiths as well? This will be my first purchase. Probably $600 difference between the Jumyo and Koto blades. Thanks in advance.

choices

I would suggest that the mumei katana is a better "learning opportunity". With the Jumyo with papers, you already know a lot about it, without any effort. You already know the smith, time period, and anything else that the papers may say.

With the mumei, be careful of defects/damage. Look carefully for things like tiny cracks in the cutting edge, and other Fatal Flaws. Learn how to identify the serious problems.

Assuming that the papers are from one of the major organizations (NTHK, NBTHK), the wak is a "safer" purchase. It shouldn't have been given papers if it had any major problems.

Pete

Pete, It's the same that my

Pete, It's the same that my brain wants me to do, but I'm hedging with the safety factor. thanks for advice