hello from new member, identification of nihonto

hello from alanaja a new member, exciting times ahead with nihonto club , ive just bought a sword that looks genuine but have not got a clue to its history ,will be posting pics and info soon ,see what you members think , looking forward to your advice, , hello here i am back again with photos the length of the blade from the tip to the tsuba is about 21.5 inches, blade very sharp,has a kogatana in saya, 2 menuki one either side of tsuka, would love some information regarding, swordsmith, region, date made,is it valuable enough to get refurbished or would you leave it as is

Welcome

Hi Alan and welcome to Nihonto Club!

Please post the photos and we'll have a look.

Stan

Fuyuhiro

Alan,

The signature reads:

冬廣作
fuyuhiro saku

There were many Fuyuhiro throughout centuries. I'll have a closer look to make a guess at its age and region, but because the sword is out of polish, it won't be easy.

Stan

By the way, most of this

By the way, most of this sword's historical context (and value) had been completely destroyed by sand paper. The rust should have been left as it was. This largely answers the question about whether it's worth restoring or not.

Fittings look good though.

S.

evil sandpaper

Looks like the tsuba has been ruined also - what a shame.

Pete

Thanks guys

Thanks guys what a shame about The sandpaper, I bought it like that but didn't know about leaving the rust, would still love to know more about the provenance of it though, if its not worth refurbishing what would be a fair price to sell it for ,I paid £100 for it and wouldn't like to be unfair to someone (like myself) on my valuation of it but again don't want to be ripped off by some unscrupulous dealer and would like to start my collection on the moral high ground

Fuyuhiro

Hi Alan,

I tried to find other works of Fuyuhiro which look like your sword (it's the only thing I can do with a sword out of polish) and I wasn't able to find any.

The price you paid is actually not bad at all. Even if you sold fittings separately, you may well cover your costs.

Stan